Did you even go to Paris if you didn’t take a photo at the Eiffel Tower? As the most popular landmark in Paris, the magnificent Eiffel Tower is most definitely worth a visit. Chances are, if you are doing a historical tour of Paris, you will probably pass it by. However, visiting the Eiffel Tower at night – now that is an unparalleled experience not to be missed!
Here we share some of our top options for seeing the famous site, but first, an overview of what you are in for!
- An opportunity to witness the beauty of the Eiffel Tower lit up in a spectacular display – from as high up or as low down as you wish
- A chance to skip-the-line
- A multilingual guide to provide enriching information
- Opening hours from 09:00 am to 00:45 am – giving you the choice of a day or night visit
- Many more – depending on the night tour that you choose!
Know before you book
- If you want to make use of the skip-the-line, be sure to be on time for your tour or you could miss your entry!
Eiffel Tower History
Booking a tour with a great guide should help to provide all of the interesting information that you could want. In case you miss a few nuggets of knowledge because you are too distracted by the beauty of the structure – here is a brief summary of the history of the Eiffel Tower.
The initial construction by Gustave Eiffel in 1889 was supposed to be temporary as a commemorative structure for the 100th anniversary of the French revolution. With a wide base of 125 metres and a height of 300 metres, the structure was first opposed by many as being aesthetically displeasing.
When the tower turned out to be a success, Gustave was adamant that it should not be destroyed and highlighted the scientific functional value that the tower could offer in addition to being a tourism icon.
The Eiffel Tower stayed, and in 1985 the illuminations were added by Pierre Bideau, electrician and engineer. Today, the Eiffel Tower is a powerful symbol of Paris, with almost 7 million visitors climbing its height every year. And what better way to visit it than under the magic of the night sky as the structure is illuminated by 20,000 bulbs!
Eiffel Tower Tickets
The beauty of Paris means that there are so many different ways to visit and view the magnificent tower at night. Here are our top choices!
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Night Tour
This hour and a half tour gives you access to the second-floor observation deck of the tower to take in the sweeping panoramic views. This tour comes highly recommended as a night-cap after tasting delicious French cuisine.
Why this tour?
- Skip-the-line and get direct access
- One and a half hour Eiffel Tower night tour
- An English-speaking guide that offers insight on the history of the tower
This tour is only available for 25 people at a time, so be sure to book your spot here!
Eiffel Tower and the Seine River Combo
If you really want to make the most of your night tour, the evening Seine River cruise and Eiffel Tower tour is one for the books!
You can enjoy a relaxing cruise down the Seine River with a glass of champagne in hand before skipping the line to the second floor of the Eiffel Tower to learn about the beautiful city and view the captivating lights.
Why this tour?
- Enjoy an easy cruise down the Seine River
- Skip-the-line to the second floor of the tower
- Be enlightened by the knowledge of an English-speaking guide
Sunset River Cruise
Do heights make you nervous? Don’t let that stop you from witnessing the beauty of the Eiffel Tower at night!
The sunset river cruise along the Seine will take you past the Eiffel Tower, as well as other iconic landmarks, on a one-hour illumination cruise. This cruise allows you to experience the “City of Lights” from the comfort of floating down the river.
Why this cruise?
- Sail down the River Seine, past the illuminated Eiffel Tower
- Listen to enriching information from a live guide
- Get swept away by live music on board a classic Bateaux Parisiens pleasure boat
Eiffel Tower Restaurant At Night
There’s nothing more romantic than treating your partner to a dinner for two at the most iconic sites in the city of love!
58 Tour Eiffel, located on the first floor of the Eiffel Tower, will give you a night to remember as you feast your eyes on the sparkling city, and your bellies on your choice of a three- or four-course meal.
Why this experience?
- Priority lift access to the first floor
- Sip champagne and enjoy a romantic dinner
- Enjoy up to two and a half hours of mesmerizing views (no, we are not referring to your partner)
Entrance fees for various tours vary depending on several factors – including whether you choose to take the stairs or the elevator. As an added tip, make sure that you book your tour for a day where the weather is predicted to be clear – even a little bit of fog can obscure the lights.
There are also circulating stories that question if it’s legal to take photographs of the Eiffel Tower at night. The truth of the matter is that the lighting display which illuminates the structure has a copyright claim on it on behalf of the artist, and it is illegal to take photographs of the Eiffel Tower at night.
So, what is an innocent tourist to do? The good news is that the copyright is not really actioned. In fact, the Eiffel Tower’s official website does not even obviously mention the restriction. To be safe – it is advised not to distribute images of the illuminated site at night for commercial purposes.
These are just a few of the wonderful Eiffel Tower tours available, giving travelers the opportunity to see the city at night and be captivated by the sparkling lights.