Who says you can’t make the most out of one of the coldest seasons on the calendar? As the saying goes, “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade”. In this case, when life gives you cold snowy weather, ride with it!
Winter is definitely a wildcard season that can create some of the best backdrops for an unforgettable holiday experience! We’ve listed some of our favourite winter resorts across the different parts of the globe, where you can make the most out of your stay!
If you’re looking for the ultimate winter resort vacation or escape for yourself or even your family, here are some of our favourite places to visit in winter!
1. Seefeld, Austria
This family-friendly ski resort attracts visitors with different skiing level abilities throughout the winter season! Whether you’re a seasoned pro or if you’re just starting out, this Austrian ski resort will meet your needs, regardless of your skill level.
2. Sun Valley Resort, Idaho
Sun Valley Resort is a popular destination because of its far removed location. However, do not despair, all the amenities you’ll need are conveniently placed on the premises. This is the perfect place for a winter getaway that you’ll remember forever.
3. Zermatt, Switzerland
Zermatt is one of Switzerland’s best-known skiing regions and its ski resort has the highest number of slopes around.
For both beginners and the more experienced skiers, Zermatt will provide a magical experience with a wide range of things to do on any given day.
4. Valle Nevado, Chile
Beautifully perched on a mountain-top with sprawling vistas below, this resort provides stress-free vacation planning with its all-inclusive options on offer! For those who’d rather spend their time enjoying the slopes without having to think about their next meal, this is one of the best options around.
5. Aspen, USA
This ski resort is the ultimate winter wonderland and has a reputation for providing impeccable service and views. If you’re looking for an unforgettable experience at one of the top winter resorts around, this location might just be the one for you!
6. lles Deux Alpes, France
You can still party it up in the wintertime at this fun-filled resort with the highest skiable glacier in Europe. If skiing on one of the world’s highest glaciers sounds like something you’d like to tick off your bucket list, here’s where you can do it.
7. Club Med Les Arcs Panorama, France
This all-inclusive resort is very popular with families of all sizes and ages because it has a wide range of things to do. With modern architecture and facilities, you’ll find that there’s something here for everyone!
8. Whistler Blackcomb Resort, Canada
If you’re ever in Vancouver during the wintertime, you can’t leave without visiting this one of a kind destination. Known as one of the biggest resorts in North America, this resort, is the ultimate winter getaway.
Here, you’ll find exceptional views, in an unmatched location. There are plenty of trails and terrains to choose from for all skiing levels as well as a range of accommodation options available for different budgets.
9. Niseko, Japan
This incredible winter resort surrounded by the snowy slopes of Japan has a number of enjoyable activities to explore. These include hot springs, the ultimate relaxation spas and exclusive shopping!
Here, you can easily beat the winter blues while on your winter escape.
10. Vogel Ski Resort, Slovenia
Known as one of the best ski resorts in Slovenia, this peaceful destination has a wide range of accommodation options and winter hotels to choose from. This resort provides the opportunity for one of the most relaxing winter vacations around.
There’s also a number of other ski resorts in proximity, that you can easily make your way to on a fun day trip.
11. Bláfjöll Ski Resort, Iceland
Set just 30km away from the capital city of Reykjavik, Bláfjöll Ski Resort is the perfect destination for those looking for the ultimate ski experience near a major capital city.
As one of the best snow vacations for non-skiers, Reykjavik, will meet your needs with all the other winter-specific things to do in the area.
In general, Iceland has one of the most ultimate winter snow vacations you can ever embark on.
12. Breckenridge, USA
Known as one of the best places to visit in Colorado during the wintertime, Breckenridge should be on your list of places to visit at least once in your lifetime. There is a range of things to explore at this multifaceted destination that goes beyond just skiing.
You can spend your days ten-pin bowling, soaking in the warmth of the hot pools at the spa or enjoying beverages at the local bars and pubs.
13. Park City, USA
This world-class destination is known as one of the largest winter resorts in North America. Outside of skiing, you can enjoy the warmth of the quaint restaurants with delicious hearty food.
You will also find other exclusive dining experiences on offer so you can dig into some wintery comfort food.
14. GALA Yuzawa Ski Resort, Japan
Japanese winter is never complete without enjoying some of the best snowy slopes around. Set just 75 minutes away from Tokyo, reward yourself with some of the best views in the area.
Make your way to their 360-degree view restaurant with uninterrupted views of the Yuzawa mountains. This ski resort also conveniently offers a wide range of ski gear to hire during your stay.
15.Deer Valley Ski Resort, USA
If you enjoy the added comforts that only luxury winter resorts can provide, you might want to consider this luxury offer.
For an unforgettable experience, start your day off with a session of ski yoga which provides multiple health benefits. And end it off from the comfort of your room, while you enjoy the warmth of a jetted pool, paired with a lovely drink of your choice in hand.
16.Ski Dubai, UAE
If you’d rather enjoy a winter resort experience without having to go in the wintertime. How about you enjoy it at this one of a kind ski resort in one of Dubai’s massive malls.
Ski Dubai resort has plenty of activities on offer, including but not limited to tubing, bob-sledding, zorbing and even an encounter with penguins.
Once you’re done skiing, you can make your way out into the warmth of the city. In Dubai, there’s a range of things to do, including taking in the views at the tallest building in the world, desert safaris and warm lazy beach days.
17. Pyeongchang, South Korea
This resort is where the 2018 World Olympics were held.
Here, you can enjoy a night skiing experience with the moonlight and stars leading your way. The benefits of a night skiing experience are that you’ll have the slopes mostly to yourself because the crowds have significantly lessened during the nighttime.
18. Masikryong Ski Resort, North Korea
For a unique skiing experience in one of the most isolated countries in the world, how about heading to North Korea?
Known for its stellar service and great amenities on-site this ski resort might just be the wildcard you’re looking for on your winter adventure.
Reasons To Visit Winter Resorts
Winter might not always be the ideal season for holidaymakers, but there are a number of advantages to planning a winter vacation.
These are some of our favourite reasons why you should make your way to a winter resort.
7 Reasons Why You Should Visit A Winter Resort
- You can save money on airfares during the wintertime because the flight prices are often considerably lower during this season. Just make sure that you don’t purchase your tickets anytime near Christmas, when the prices fluctuate significantly.
- Although skiing is a major reason why you should consider visiting a winter resort, there are a host of other resort sports to partake in while you’re there. These include snowmobiling, learning how to snowboard, skating and hiking.
- There are winter-specific festivals and events during this time of the year that you won’t be able to experience in the warmer months.
- The wintertime is the best time to enjoy delicious, hearty food that you may have put off during the other months.
- Winter resorts often offer a wide range of activities to do in proximity, so you don’t have to travel far and wide to get up to something fun.
- If you do opt to travel outside of the ski resort for a day trip or a stayover, you’ll often find that the nearest cities or towns are much emptier. This means you’ll get to explore it without the heightened crowds you may find in the highest seasons.
- There are a number of all-inclusive winter resorts to choose from if you prefer to have everything sorted for you on arrival. Plus, this option can save you money in the long-run.
Tips To Travel To A Winter Resort
With its cold weather and sometimes unpredictable nature, here are some of our top tips to make the most out of your winter stay.
Top Tips To Use During Your Winter Vacation
- Don’t hire a car while you’re on your winter escape. You won’t need one while you’re in the confines of a winter resort.
- Outside of the suggested skiing trails, acquaint yourself with some of the locals to find out what their favourite trails are to enjoy!
- Pack smart for the wet weather conditions as well as the unpredictable dips in temperature.
- Don’t forget to layer up to protect yourself from the cold.
- Remember to invest in some water-resistant or waterproof clothing that’ll help keep out the wetness during your stay.
- Invest in some quality gloves and boots that will keep your fingers and feet warm.
- If you can, take advantage of the all-inclusive packages available, so that you don’t have to worry about a lot of things that can be provided by the resort.
- If you’d rather have a self-catering experience, have a look at some of the local accommodations on offer on sites like bookings.com. Dependant on how long you stay you might get significantly discounted prices.
- If you don’t have all the necessary winter equipment, you can opt to hire it at some of the hiring shops within these resorts.
Final Thoughts On The Best Winter Resorts
Enjoy the magical splendor of this season at some of the best winter vacations with snow. Whether you’re a beginner skier or seasoned pro, there’s a resort out there that can cater to your needs.
The winter season is the best time to take advantage of some of the more reasonable prices in some of the major cities and resorts. Make the most out of this season and create memories to last a lifetime!
Whether you’re still looking for the best place to learn how to ski or if you’d rather learn how to snowboard, there’s a winter resort out there, just waiting for you!