Explore Durban’s Aliwal Shoal reef and get your heart pumping in an exhilarating shark cage diving adventure! A true bucket-list event, get an up close-up look at the stunning blacktip sharks.
Experience the underwater paradise of Aliwal Shoal, famous for its many shark species. This gorgeous reef on the South Coast is the ideal place to visit for shark cage diving in KZN. If you’re looking for the perfect ocean adventure, this is the tour for you!
Know before you book:
- Minimum age is 7 years old
- Minimum of 2 people per booking
- You don’t have to know how to swim (as long as you remain in the cage)
- Enjoy an exciting boat ride to Aliwal Shoal
- See black-tip sharks up close
- Exit the cage for open water snorkelling
- Snorkel in the Indian Ocean
Durban’s Aliwal Shoal reef is located just off the South Coast of KZN. It is inhabited by a wide variety of tropical and subtropical fish species. Enjoy this exhilarating experience in the colorful waters off the coast of Durban!
Shark cage diving in Durban is open to everyone; including children from 7-years onward. This tour takes place in the early morning, when the sharks are most active and the weather conditions are calm. You’ll spend between 45- 60 minutes in the water and see anywhere from 10 to 30 black-tip sharks!
Black tip sharks are found in warm coastal waters around the world. These sharks inhabit the Aliwal Shoal year-round. An experienced shark guide will accompany you at all times, and provide the group with information about shark behavior and conservation.
Shark Cage Diving Durban Prices
The cost of a shark cage diving tickets is USD $72.00 per person. Souvenir videos and photos are not included in the price but are available for purchase at an additional cost.
Durban Shark Cage Diving Times
Shark cage diving in Durban starts at approximately 6:30am, and lasts for 3-hours. Please note that this time is dependent on weather conditions and guests availability.
Best Time to Go to Durban for Shark Cage Diving
The best time for caged shark diving in Durban is during the winter months (May to October). This is when visibility is at its best.
Shark Cage Diving on Durban’s Aliwal Shoal
You’ll receive the complete shark caging diving experience with this 3-hour tour. Start off with a complimentary tea or coffee while your group receives a safety briefing. Next, the adventure begins! Your group will board a boat and head for the reef. Following safety checks, the organizers will chum the water to gather the sharks. After a few minutes, the black tip sharks will arrive. Black tip sharks are quite social, and usually live in larger groups. Groups will usually experience 10 – 30 sharks around their cage. If you’ve always wanted to try shark cage diving, Durban’s Aliwal Shoal reef is a great place to do it!
After you’ve completed your cage dive, more adventurous travellers have the option to leave the cage and snorkel amongst the sharks. You will be fitted with a pair of fins and can then swim freely. Every second of your Aliwal Shoal adventure will be captured by a videographer. After you return from the dive, your group will enjoy a light lunch while you view the expedition video. Should you choose, this can be purchased at an extra cost.
- Expedition guide
- Safety briefing
- Live commentary on the boat
- All shark cage diving activities
- Use of all equipment (wetsuit, mask, snorkel, life jacket)
- Light refreshments (snacks, beverages, coffee/tea)
- Souvenir video and photographs (available for purchase at an additional cost)
- Accommodation pick-up/drop-off (this can be arranged)
- Ocean boat ride
- Informative guide
- Amazing dive on the Aliwal Shoal
- See stunning black tip sharks
- Enjoy a private tour
- Open to everyone over the age of 7-years old
- You don’t have to be a strong swimmer
- Doesn’t include video or pictures (available for purchase)
Specification: Shark Cage Diving Durban (Snorkeling Included)
There are no reviews yet.