Explore the gorgeous historic city of Oxford via train from London. Wander amid the dreaming spires and learn the far-reaching history of this archaic city.
Know before you book:
- The tours involve a fair amount of walking
- You should wear comfortable walking shoes
- No food is provided on these tours
- The train journey to Oxford from London takes around one hour
- These are full-day tours, so ensure you’re adequately prepared
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Discover the beauty and history of Oxford, one of the world’s oldest university cities
- Find out where some of the world’s most famous minds graduated
- Go to the pub where C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien used to drink
- Marvel at the Ashmolean Museum
- Learn about the famous university alumni
Oxford is one of the oldest university cities in the world, with the University of Oxford’s roots stretching back to 1096. It’s a gorgeous city furnished with stunning old buildings and soaked in thousands of years of world-changing history.
A day trip to Oxford is a fantastic break from the hustle and bustle of London and offers some beautiful sights and experiences as you wander between the dreaming spires.
Many of the world’s greatest thinkers, authors, entertainers, politicians, and academics were produced by Oxford University, from Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking to Oscar Wilde and J.R.R Tolkien. You’ll hear stories about many of the notable Oxford University alumni during these Oxford day tours.
We highly recommend taking a walk through the covered market, where you’ll find all sorts of artisanal products and delicious food items. If your visit coincides with the summer months, we suggest going punting on the canals – it’s an incredibly tranquil experience and a lot of fun.
Oxford Tour From London Prices 2019
The Oxford bus tours start at around $20 whilst the full day Oxford tours from London cost about $50.
Oxford Tour From London Times
The full-day guided tour leaves from London in the morning, but you will be informed of the specific meeting time upon booking.
The Oxford hop-on-hop-off bus tours start at 9:30 am year round, with the final tours departing at 4 pm in winter, and 6 pm in summer.
Best Time To Go
We think Oxford is at it’s best in the warmer spring and summer months (between April and September). Walking around can get a bit chilly in winter, and the bus tours run later in summer, too. However, the city is beautiful all year round, and certainly worth visiting at any time!
Oxford Day Tour Options
There are a few great ways to explore Oxford from London. The first is a full-day tour with an experienced guide and transport to and from London. The second is to make your own way from London to Oxford and enjoy a hop-on-hop-off Oxford bus tour on arrival.
Oxford Tour from London (Full-Day Guided Tour)
This full-day Oxford tour from London is a hassle-free, informative, and immersive way to experience this stunning historic city during your trip to London.
After a morning meet-up with your guide at Paddington Station in London, you’ll travel as part of a group to Oxford via train. During your Oxford day trip, your guide will take you around all of the iconic sites in Oxford, providing informed and engaging commentary along the way.
You’ll wander through the grounds of Trinity College, absorb the striking exterior of the Ashmolean Museum, stroll through the cobbled streets around Radcliffe square, and explore the incredible Christ Church College. Wander past the iconic Bodleian Library and Bridge of Sighs while strolling through the city.
You’ll also discover where Lord of the Rings was dreamt up as your guide takes you to the pub where J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis once sat to drink and write. The tour will take you past several of the shooting locations for the Harry Potter Films and you’ll get to observe the archaic centuries-old traditions that Oxford students still take part in today.
After the tour wraps up, you’ll be free to tour Oxford at your leisure and take the train back to London when you’re ready.
What we liked: One of the most informative and immersive ways to explore Oxford!
- Transport to and from London (via train)
- A highly informed, friendly guide
- Immersive stories and facts about the city
- A guided tour of the main attractions and sights
- Food and drinks
Click below to find out more and book!Check Price & book
Oxford Bus Tour
If you’d prefer to travel around Oxford and soak up the sights from the comfort of a bus, a hop-on-hop-off Oxford sightseeing bus tour is also available. You’ll be able to customize your own itinerary, hopping on and off the Oxford tour bus at any of the 20 stops around the city.
During the bus tour of Oxford, you’ll be able to sit on the open-air top deck of the bus and get full panoramic views of this gorgeous historic city. You’ll pass by and be able to stop off at many of the iconic Oxford sights and be able to explore them at your leisure. You can choose between a 24 or 48-hour pass.
- The ability to hop-on and hop-off the busses at your leisure
- Immersive views of the city
- Customizable Itinerary
- Onboard audio commentary (available in several languages)
- Discount booklet including offers on local attractions, eateries, and shops
- Transport to and from London
- Food and drinks
- Tour guide
Click below to book find out more and book this Oxford bus tour!Check Price & book
- Explore the beautiful honey-colored buildings of Oxford
- Easy meet up and transport
- Peppered with great facts and information
- Informed, friendly guide
- Free time to explore the rest of Oxford at your leisure
- May not be suitable for those who aren’t able to walk for long periods of time
- Bad weather can dampen the experience
- No hotel pickup or drop-off
- Limited language options
Specification: Oxford Tour From London (Walking, Bus, Sightseeing)
5 hours – full day
Informed local tour guide, Interesting facts, stories, and information, Return train tickets from London, Tour of the iconic Oxford sights
|Meals & Drinks|
Meals not included (available for purchase)
Meet at Paddington train station, London, Pickup from hotel not included
Corporate outings, Couples, Families, Groups of friends, Solo travelers
10 reviews for Oxford Tour From London (Walking, Bus, Sightseeing)