Johannesburg Day Tours, Attractions & Excursions
Tourist Attractions in Johannesburg
Planning a trip to Johannesburg, or more commonly known as ‘Jozi’, may feel a little overwhelming for a first-timer. Other than being the biggest city in South Africa, it also has a bad reputation for being the most dangerous.
If you’re travelling around Joburg, you certainly need to be alert. Having said that; when it comes down to Johannesburg tourist attractions, it has so much to offer – a rich history, dynamic culture and vibrant atmosphere. It hosts a number of the most renowned historical places in South Africa and has a magical buzz that will leave you wanting to come back for more.
Places to To visit in Johannesburg
Jozi offers a variety of suburbs, landmarks and surrounding areas that are worth seeing – each unique in their own way. The inner city, usually avoided by tourists, is transforming into an oasis of trends and creativity. It is also home to the Market Theatre, vibey Braamfontein, as well as the artsy Maboneng.
Visitors are mostly drawn to the leafy suburbs in the north of Joburg. Areas like Norwood and Parktown are buzzing with trendy restaurants and bars. The chic streets of Greenside also offer a buzzing nightlife.
For the more alternative crowds, edgy Melville is an all time favourite. And don’t forget all the fancy malls of Sandton for splashing out on some fashionable items.
Joburg knows how to show it’s visitors that the big city life is the way to go!
Things to Do in Johannesburg
Now that you know what places visit, the next logical step would be to plan how you are going to experience the true essence of Jozi. Below is a short breakdown of some of the most exciting things to do in Johannesburg:
- For history-lovers, The Apartheids Museum is a must-see as it illustrates the rise and fall of South Africa’s prejudiced system that led to racial segregation.
- In the mood for some Johannesburg sightseeing? Then hop on the open air Red Bus, a Johannesburg tour bus that explore sites like Carlton Centre, James Hall Museum and the famous Nelson Mandela Bridge.
- Get your blood pumping on a rollercoaster ride at Gold Reef City. For a more cultural experience, grab a bike and take a guided tour through Soweto.
- There are a number of lush green parks and nature reserves to go for the outdoorsy travelers, such as the Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden and Emmarentia Dam.
- The Magaliesberg is just an hour drive from Joburg for those needing to breakaway from the city. One of the oldest mountain ranges on earth, it is a perfect destination for weekend getaways, hikes and camping trips.
- The Kruger National Park is a must see for nature lovers! Known as the home of Big 5, here you can experience African wildlife at its best. From guided safaris, variety of accomodation to adventurous activities in surrounding areas, this will truly be a trip of a lifetime!
Have a look at our list below, and explore the City of Gold like never before!
Showing all 11 results
Take an adventure through the bush in a slightly different way. Hop onto the back on a quad bike and speed, or roll, through the wilderness in Hazyview, taking in the gorgeous sites of the Panorama Route. ...
- Professional gear and guide
- Great family fun
- No meals or drinks provided
Get ready to pump your inner thrill-seeker with high doses of adrenaline on one of the most exciting outdoor adventure activities at Sun City Resort. ...
Join the vultures soaring above the plains of Pilanesburg National park. Experience this natural wonderland from a hot air balloon, spying game as far as the eye can see. With a chance to see the big five while enjoying a champagne breakfast, this is truly an amazing opportunity. ...
- Chance to see Big 5
- Exquisite scenic views
- Thrilling adventure
- Breakfast with champagne
- Can be cold
- Weather dependent
Take a journey through the vast and never-ending beauty of the Kruger National Park. Seek out the Big 5, wonder at the indigenous flora, and spot some of the unique birds that call this part of the world home. ...
- Long, detailed journey
- Experienced guide
- Opportunity to spot the Big 5
- Entrance fees not included
- Food and drinks aren't provided
South Africa is often voted as one of the best safari destinations in the world. The Kruger National Park is where nearly 2 million hectares of unrivaled diversity of life forms fuse with fascinating historical and archaeological sights. Take one of these Kruger National Park safaris from Nelspruit to immerse yourself in the ...
- Fully guide and in-depth tour
- Small group size
- Game reserve safari
- Sometimes unavailable for extended periods of time
- May have minimum age
- May have limitations on group size
Going on safari is one of the highlights when visiting South Africa, and Johannesburg safari tours are arguably some of the best in the country. There are several game reserves near Johannesburg that boast incredible wildlife - including the famous Big Five - for travelers to enjoy. ...
- A variety of options to choose from
- Pick either a morning, afternoon or full-day tour
- Transport is typically included
- Not wheelchair friendly
- Travel is required
Imagine spending an afternoon frolicking in the undulating, turquoise surf of the palm-tree lined Valley of Waves, in what is seemingly perennial summer in Sun City. ...
- Surf and safari in one
- 3 hour game drive
- Explore Sun City and the Valley of Waves
- Lunch not included
- Be prepared for a full day of activities
- So much to do, so little time!
This mini-tour of the Kruger National Park is a brilliant way to spend your weekend. Seek out the Big 5, many different mammals and species of birds, and then finish off in the beautiful landscape of the Drakensberg. ...
- Tour of the park and the Small Drakensberg mountain range
- All inclusive
- Very popular, requires booking far in advance
There are few experiences that top being able to see the Big 5. Some of the earth’s most majestic creatures, in their natural habitat, are all on show during these half and full day safari tours through the famous Kruger National Park. These are guaranteed to be the most amazing Johannesburg to Kruger National Park tours. We've compared them so that you can find the the perfect tour for you! ...
- Up-close viewings of the Big 5
- Very knowledgeable guide
- No meals included
- Game sightings not guaranteed
Enjoy a 3-day adventure around the glorious Kruger National Park. Wine and dine the night away in a luxurious hotel or snuggle up in one of the cozy bungalows. Spend your days discovering all the many creatures and plants the area has to offer and enjoy the wide expanse of diverse wilderness. ...
- Accommodation included
- 3 days of safari
- Big 5 sightings
- Minimum age may apply
- Not wheelchair accessible
In the heart of the Joburg city, this hotel makes you feel as if you are sitting in a hillside village. Request with them to take your pets beforehand at no extra charge. ...
- A luxury hotel that allows your tiny pets to join
- Only pets that fit the hotel’s restrictions allowed