Robben Island is at the core of South Africa’s rich history and culture. The tiny island located just off of the coast of Cape Town is home to a large amount of history and tells the story of Nelson Mandela’s captivity – and subsequent freedom – which became iconic for the democracy of South Africa.
Today, the island is a popular tourist attraction for those with a passion or interest in history and human justice. The only way to reach the island is by boat or air. Here we will discuss a variety of ways to visit the island by ferry – and even by helicopter.
Know before you book:
- The ferry is subject to weather and trips may be canceled
- There is a two-tier price system and Non-South Africans need to make sure that they select the correct option for the ticket to be valid
- The tour ends at the Robben Island Ferry gateway
- Learn about life on Robben Island
- Discover aspects of South Africa’s intricate history
- Visit the cell where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned
Robben Island Prices 2020
- Total tours cost R550 ($32 / €29) for non-SA adults and R300 ($17 / €16) for non-SA children that are between 2 -18.
- SA adults and pay R380 ($22 / €20) and SA children pay R200 for 2 – 18 years.
- Robben Island tour with hotel pickup costs up to $160 USD per person for the more exclusive helicopter ride.
Ferry to Robben Island Times
Boats depart for Robben Island from the V&A Waterfront at the Nelson Mandela Gateway at 9 am, 11 am and 1 pm daily. Note that these trips are weather permitting. The gates close 10 minutes prior departure, so make sure that you arrive early. The trip duration is approximately three-and-a-half hours – including your tour around the island.
Ferry To Robben Island Times
There are several ferries leaving for Robben Island throughout the day. Ferries typically depart at 9 am, 11 am and 1 pm so pre-booking is essential to secure your spot. It is important to arrive 30 minutes before departure.
Best time to go
The tour – including the two ferry trips – is normally around three and a half hours. In order to make the most out of your day, it’s suggested that you go earlier rather than later. When booking your trip, try to check the weather forecast. The experience is best when the sun is out and the winds are soft. If the weather is really bad, the tour may be canceled for the day and you will need to reschedule it.
How Much To Go To Robben Island
General tour prices cost R380 per adult and R200 per child for South Africans. Prices for non-South African visitors cost R550 per adult, and R300 per child. As mentioned above, hotel pick-ups are available at a small additional fee.
Robben Island Tours 2020
Depending on the time and budget you have available, you may want to simply tick off the island, or expand on its learnings and visit the surrounding townships in Cape Town. Alternatively, if you are really pressed for time, you can take a scenic helicopter ride over the island.
Robben Island Boat Trip and Hotel Pick-Up
This is the standard Robben Island ferry and tour of the museum, with the luxury of a hotel pick-up included. Enjoy a sea-breezing trip to the island on one of the dedicated ferries before exploring the history that is dictated on the island.
Listen to stories of South Africa’s apartheid past as told by an ex-prisoner on the island, and visit the infamous cell where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 18 of his 27 years in jail.
Get picked up in comfort from your hotel in the city center and nearby surrounds and be transported to the ferry boarding where your pre-booked ticket has secured your spot for the journey.
- Pick-up from central Cape Town accommodation
- Return Robben Island ferry ticket
- Tour of the island and prison
- Food and drinks
An incredible experience for those interested in the underlying history and culture of South Africa. Robben Island is an iconic landmark in Cape Town and a must-see for anyone wanting to truly experience the city.Check Price & book
Township and Robben Island Tour Combination
Visit different townships around Cape Town and witness the after-effects of the struggles of apartheid before hopping on a ferry to Robben Island and discovering the story of one of the men who played a vital role in overcoming the social injustice.
The eight-hour tour includes a guided visit to the most important townships in Cape Town, a ferry ride to Robben Island and an unparalleled historical and cultural experience.
- Vehicle and driver guide
- Robben Island ferry ticket
- Tour of the island and prison
- Passenger liability insurance
- Return transfer to hotel
- Food and drinks
Helicopter Ride – Robben Island by Air
Jump on board a helicopter and enjoy a 20-minute helicopter ride over Robben Island for an unparalleled view and alternative experience. Experience post-card views of the island first-hand from the air as the helicopter circumnavigates one of the most significant landmarks in South African history.
- Shared helicopter flight
- In-flight commentary
- Free pick-up and drop-off from accommodation
- In-flight video package (available for purchase)
- Secure a ticket on the ferry to Robben Island
- Discover the rich history of the island from a former prisoner
- Learn about South Africa’s dramatic past
- The tour may be canceled due to bad weather conditions
Specification: 7 BEST Trips to Robben Island Ticket Prices 2020
Admission tickets, Hotel pick-up, Return ferry tickets
Food and drinks, Gratuities, Hotel drop-off
|Meals & Drinks|
Everyone, History enthusiasts
48 reviews for 7 BEST Trips to Robben Island Ticket Prices 2020